The most beautiful Tuscan villages

You could explore Tuscany for days, weeks and probably months if you wanted. But if you have limited time in the region I have made a selection of the best villages for you to explore to have a true taste of Tuscany.

I organised the list from the further north to the further south, so feel free to scroll through the list if you are only planning to explore one area.

Greve in Chianti

Greve in Chianti

Greve in Chianti is very close to my heart as this is where we used to do our weekly shop  with my parents when we were on vacation in Tuscany as a child. We stayed there multiple summers and my favourite thing in Greve in Chianti is to go to the market. The main square gets very busy on market day. Make sure to visit Antica Macelleria Falorni to get some Tuscan products, then grab a table on one of the terraces around the square for a caffe or an Aperol Spritz depending on the time of the day. If you fancy doing a wine tasting Viticcio winery is a very short drive away!

Greve in Chianti market

Castellina in Chianti

Castellina in Chianti

Castellina in Chianti is a small but lovely medieval village. The perfect spot for a little bit of exploring and watching the local life passing by. I also really recommend having dinner at one of the terraces on the main street. At night, the small quiet village turns into a very lively night life area.

Castellina in Chianti

San Gimignano

San Gimignano

San Gimignano is probably one, if not, the most famous Tuscan village. The medieval town is very famous for its skyline of medieval towers. The place is breathtakingly beautiful. The views onto the Tuscan countryside are dreamy as well. When visiting make sure to take a tour of the Civic Museum and to have the best gelato at Dondoli.

San Gimignano

Volterra

Volterra

Are you a fan of the Twilight movies? Not really, me neither. Fun fact though, Volterra was the set of one of the movie famous scenes, so if you happen to travel with a fan make sure to mention it to them. You will need good footwear when visiting Volterra as you will be climbing up pretty steep streets, but it absolutely worth it. Walk to the top for some amazing views, take a moment to appreciate the local architecture and on the way down stop for a rewarding gelato or an espresso.

Volterra

Montepulciano

Montepulciano

Montepulciano is were the Medieval ages meet the Renaissance. Everywhere you look is a lesson on architecture history. It is a very vibrant little town with plenty of food shops, art galleries and little trendy boutique. A must to add to your Tuscany trip schedule.

SMontepulciano

I hope this list will help you plan a great trip to Tuscany, as Andrew said the first time I took him there: “Claire, everywhere I look is beautiful!”.

Tuscany never disappoints and it is probably my favourite place in the world. I am so fortunate that it has been my childhood summer vacation destination, and I really hope to carry on that tradition the day I have a family of my own.

Follow me on InstagramTwitterPinterest and Trover!

Advertisements

21 thoughts on “The most beautiful Tuscan villages

1. whodoido September 16, 2017 / 2:06 pm

This is a fantastic list! I have always wanted to visit Tuscany. I didn’t realise that Volterra was the set for the Twilight movie. The villages are perfect to explore, grab a bite to eat and watch the world go by. This is on my list!

2. Oana Roua (@OanaRoua) September 16, 2017 / 1:57 pm

I am actually going to Tuscany for a month and I am looking forward to explore all the little villages (and wineries). I will be staying in a village myself and I have already rented a motorbike for the entire trip. I am so looking forward to explore the entire county. I will definitely go to San Gimignano and to Volterra.

3. forever roaming the world September 16, 2017 / 1:06 am

Although I haven’t been to Tuscany myself I do know of its Beauty and charm, I used to sell holidays for Tuscany and everybody I sent over there always had only positives to say about it. Do you think it’d becoming over-touristy or still ok ?

• Claire September 19, 2017 / 7:26 am

It’s still okay if you avoid July and August when all Europeans are on vacations 🙂

4. Lyf&Spice September 15, 2017 / 5:49 pm

I’v always dreamt of walking by the quiet alleys of Tuscany. If I had to pick my favourites, I’d choose San Gimignano and Volterra. Cheers!!

5. Bee September 15, 2017 / 1:00 pm

How lucky you were to spend family holidays here. Great tip on the medieval village. Tuscany seems very tranquil and beautiful. thanks for sharing

6. annakapys September 15, 2017 / 8:44 am

That reminds me of the movie UNDER THE SUN OF TUSCANY have you watched it? It makes you wanna go immediately!! I can imagine all the villages are pretty amazing there (your pictures only confirm!) and the food mmm.. sounds like the perfect holiday destination! Did you rent a car or did you travel by public transport?

• Claire September 19, 2017 / 7:27 am

I have seen the film and realty is very similar 🙂 Yes always renting a car there so we can do everything freely!

7. laewing23 September 15, 2017 / 2:44 am

Great post! Tuscany is one of a kind. The information on the different villages is so informative and definitely helpful!

8. Theresa Ladner September 14, 2017 / 11:37 pm

I’ve been torn between going to Tuscany or another area on our next trip but I think these villages may have made the decision for me! Thank you.

9. ambujsaxena05 September 14, 2017 / 8:21 pm

Tuscan villages are really beautiful! I like the ambience and the easy going way of life. While living in a bustling metropolis like Delhi, you miss the charm of a laid back environment. Montepulciano is a must visit thanks to your blog.

10. Tua Halen September 14, 2017 / 7:03 pm

Love this post – I can’t wait to get to visit Italy again!

11. Lexi Mary September 14, 2017 / 6:40 pm

Great visit you have done, I remember my days in italy too. and Yes I am a twilight fan your soooo Lucky to be there in Volterra I’m sure it’s a nice place. love you post.

12. Yeshi September 14, 2017 / 5:14 pm

I’ve never been to Italy but it seems amazing! I love medieval villages, the architecture and history. Your pictures and memories of each place is brilliant!

13. Catherine Hickey September 14, 2017 / 5:10 pm

We were so lucky to visit these villages this year, I would add just one more Lucignano (but don’t tell anyone else)😉

14. theglobeandthegirl September 14, 2017 / 3:50 pm

This is exactly like I imagined it would be! Such a gorgeous italy city…forever on my bucket list. Maybe someday Ill get the money for it…

15. Indu Indra September 14, 2017 / 3:49 pm

I have explored lot of parts of Italy but not been yet to Tuscan region. Quite excited now.

16. timeforanotheradventuresite September 14, 2017 / 2:36 pm

There really is nowhere on earth quite like Italy is there. I love that this post is focused on villages, they’re my favourite part of Italy! I’ve been to loads in Veneto… maybe it’s time I moved over to the other side of the country and checked out some of these!

17. The Backpacker (@thebakpakrdtnet) September 14, 2017 / 11:21 am

Been a while when I was in Tuscany… Pisa, Florence, Livorno and the Grotta del Vento… I really should have rented a car back then to visit some of the small villages… Have to return there one day – especially after reading your post 🙂

18. 5q September 14, 2017 / 10:07 am

Tuscan is always a nice choice! Still on my bucket list but I will definitely visit all beautiful places around.

Thanks for the post and good luck 🙂